“The best way to predict the future is to create it”- Peter Drucker(influential thinker, management)
Startups are today’s entrepreneur’s dream. Every innovative mind with a passionate heart envisions to have a start-up one day. Startups are pretty popular and the very word gained popularity back in the 90’s, just after the outburst of the dot coms. However etymologically , the word 'STARTUP' came in use during 1550 ,where it just meant ‘upstart dates'. The word was first time used by Forbes in 1997 in its true meaning , as we use it now.
The pandemic ravaged year taught us how important startups are. An agile , innovative and unbinding work culture that startups provide is not only preferred by the younger generation but everyone and the pandemic has taught us the use and essentiality of remote work. Having your own thing is always better than working under a binding environment. The returns are pretty promising if you are a success, “Chase the vision and not the money , the money will end up following you.”- Tony Hsieh (cofounder ZAPPOS).
Start-up culture is the new way to how well you can execute a business without being under the same room so let’s delve into 10 most convincing reasons to why at least for once ,you should work for a start-up.
5) THE SELF DEVELOPMENT: When working with startups you get the opportunity to work with the top and skillful individuals. Usually you get a young atmosphere and it helps you with the push to learn something new. In a startup you have to multitask and multitasking adds skills to your portfolio. You learn form the best while working for them. Your social skills improve. It’s a competitive world you need to be on the edge to keep up with your competitors. You learn to listen and observe. You learn to maintain a work balance , i.e. how much time to distribute between work and family. Lot of startups give you an array of environment but the minimum is you learn a lot form them
Having a flexible environment increases your employees interest in the work. When the employees are capable of making most of the decisions by themselves , 90% of the work quality gets improved.
2) THE WORK CULTURE: Talking of startups they are known for their work culture. Work is not restricted to a cubicle like corporate spaces have, the work spaces are more comfortable. You can conduct meetings on your lush green terrace. Startups are all about open communication. As the teams are usually petite the communication amongst the group is good, way better than what corporate has. You’ll find a space filled with passion fueled people. An amazingly active environment and work with fun. Obviously some startups are draining and exhausting but you should choose wisely. Make yourself clear in the beginning of your work itself. Everybody wishes to be excited to go to work and startups do provide them with such an adrenaline rush. A space where your co workers are your friends and highly talented people too, you learn and develop with them.
3) INNOVATIVE ENVIRONMENT: Working with a startup lets you be in the company of the most talented people in the industry. Usually a startup is taken up by passionate ones and they have skills my friend. You learn from the best. Startups are small in size just a bunch of people working in it to make it a success hence , the environment they offer is innovative and illuminating. Some new ideas everyday to tackle innumerable hurdles that come along the way. The atmosphere is always fresh and the people vibrant .The employees know a new idea is always welcome. You’ll not only work for one startup but you’ll get know professionals from other teams as well.
4) MINIMIZED RULES: The corporate world is a little rule driven . Every corporate office has its own testament. It’s a common belief that running with the rule keeps you safe and working. Where as startups introduced us with the idea of relaxed working , minimal rules culture. Startups usually have rules that are absolutely necessary nothing more than that. If you are fed up with your daily routine you can take a day or two for your own self, you won’t have to check your CL for that. Yes! You can walk your dog to your workplace(It may vary from place to place). In a startup you always have to give certain set of hours in a day. You can distribute your hours through the entire day. You can take a break whenever you feel like(but that doesn’t mean you compromise your work).
5)THE SELF DEVELOPMENT: When working with startups you get the opportunity to work with the top and skillful individuals. Usually you get a young atmosphere and it helps you with the push to learn something new. In a startup you have to multitask and multitasking adds skills to your portfolio. You learn form the best while working for them. Your social skills improve. It’s a competitive world you need to be on the edge to keep up with your competitors. You learn to listen and observe. You learn to maintain a work balance , i.e. how much time to distribute between work and family. Lot of startups give you an array of environment but the minimum is you learn a lot form them
6) YOUR WORK IS VALUED: Startups are petite it renders a close work environment where people are aware of your contributions. Your ideas get valued. Your vision is heard as startups are all about ideas and innovation . A greater output is valued and necessary in such an environment. Little things makes the employees feel valued and startups provide you that. There is a certain transparency in startup work culture. You keep on getting valuable feedback from your CEO and co-workers it certainly adds to your betterment and you develop with a much higher pace. As starting a business makes you more prone to find hurdles , you eventually develop the capability to solve problems in less time.
7) THE MINIMIZED OFFICE POLITICS: Startups offer you with an environment where due to lesser number of employees there is a more transparent environment as compared to that of the infamous corporate giants. People are usually work oriented and hence have less time to invest themselves in any kind of politics. Startups are infamous for a friendly work culture and they do provide that. Your colleagues are your friends , what’s better than that? Many say that startups aren’t free from politics entirely and that is possible as no place is perfect but as compared to the traditional offices certainly the politics is way less.
8) BETTER THAN YOUR REGULAR MASTER’S DEGREE: Getting paid and learning is always a better option and startups will provide you with that. Startups are very versatile and they keep adjusting themselves according to the quickly changing market on a much larger pace. They will teach you the grounds of how to run a business as you will be multitasking on many levels almost all the time. By working with a startup you would understand how a company actually works and how the team and different departments manage work. You’ll get hands on learning and that is any day better than an MBA.
9) LEADERSHIP SKILLS: As startups are smaller in size you’ll be taking a ton of responsibilities on your shoulders. You’ll be the bugs bunny playing all those roles on your own in a single game many times. You’ll have freedom to take initiatives and that will eventually lead you towards taking a lot of important decisions and you’ll develop leadership after all. A startup will never let you get bound to a monotonous-slothish routine. You will definitely develop a lot of skills and your shy social attitude will change too. A startup will give you a load of opportunities where you’ll learn and emerge as a fine leader eventually.
10) THE PASSION AND THE POSITIVE ENERGY: Passionate people dream about startups and hold the ability to make it work. Startup is a young environment and the feeling of making a difference in the market and bringing something new on the table is every entrepreneurs vision. When working for a startup you won’t be left feeling bored at all. Many startups have their own morning rituals to keep the employees optimistic and running. It’s vibrant and very busy. Due to the rapidly changing market ,startups work on edge almost all the time and that renders a superbly active environment.
These many reasons give you a kick to think about working for a startup at least once in your life. All you have to do is choose your startup wisely and make your self clear before you enter into one. It will not only provide you with multidimensional skill development but will give you a clear cut idea of how the market today works. In the words of CATERINA FAKE(CO-FOUNDER FLICKR),”WORKING ON THE RIGHT THING IS PROBABLY MORE IMPORTANT THAN WORKING HARD.”